logo-singolo-homapega-fattoria

Majnoni Baldovinetti

Family & History

Previous slide
Next slide

The history of the family

The first purchases of land by the Florentine Baldovinetti family south of Marti date back to 1417. Following the conquest of the Pisan countryside by the Florentines, of which Marti was part, many aristocratic families of Florence with interests in the mercantile and credit sector sought investments in landowners a profitable and safe use for their wealth. Among them the Baldovinettis, whose residence in Marti, through the descendants who still live there today, dates back to six centuries ago.
Between 1400 and 15000 a branch of the Baldovinetti family who owned the Marti farm (called Baldovinetti di Poggio) continued to dedicate themselves to trade profitably, especially between Livorno and Sicily. In 1814, upon the death of Giovanni di Poggio Baldovinetti, there were no male heirs and the substantial estate was divided between his 4 daughters. It was then that the archive arrived from Palazzo Baldovinetti in Florence which is still located in Marti's villa.
Despite the lack of male heirs, the surname Baldovinetti continued to survive because, based on some testamentary provisions, it was assigned by the courts to the very young Giovanni Tolomei (1844-1935) who added it to his birth surname, thus becoming Giovanni Tolomeo Gucci Baldovinetti , he loved living in Marti and therefore enhanced the farm which reached and exceeded 400 hectares in size through the purchase of new farms. 
From the marriage between Giovanni and Giulia Bartolommei (1846-1930), daughter of a liberal aristocrat who played an important part in the expulsion of the Lorena family from Florence, Maria Teresa Tolomei Baldovinetti (1867-1957) was born, who in 1890 married the marquis Achille Majnoni of 'Intignano (1855-1935). This marriage sanctioned the birth of the current compound surname which became Majnoni di Poggio Baldovinetti. In 1894 Massigliano Majnoni di Poggio Baldovinetti was born and worked hard in the care of the farm and in safeguarding the villa, despite being a high official of the Italian Commercial Bank.
Massimiliano married Maria Marcella Guicciardini Strozzi and lived with her in Marti for the last 10 years. (1947-1957) he combined the management of the heritage with his own cultural interests: he rearranged the family archive and the library. A good 40 years must have passed before his son Stefano took over the thread of his father's project when, having also retired to Marti, he worked to complete the filing work, finding the collaboration of the Archival Superintendency and the archivist Rita Romanelli.
Today, therefore, the archive is equipped with an analytical inventory that allows researchers who make a justified request to study the papers with greater agility. In 1989 the daughter of Stefano Majnoni of Poggio Baldovinetti Maria Pace took over the affairs of the farm and in 2000 she set up an agricultural company with her partner Serghei Ian Emili, father of her 3 children; Ludovico, Matilde and Achille.
Since 1990, the current heir family has dedicated itself to an incessant renovation of all the agricultural buildings (former farmhouses) and the manor house, with the collaboration of the superintendence because it is subject to the restrictions of historic Italian homes. The Marti estate today works in tourism, agriculture and solar thermal energy, these activities allow it to best maintain the historic residence and all the art objects with which it is furnished.  

The family over time

5 July 1480
Introduced
Construction of Villa Majnoni
fattoria_majnoni_baldovinetti_anni_1800

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Erat enim res open. Ne discipulum abducam, times. 

15 September 1600
Introduced
Birth of the Archive

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Erat enim res open. Ne discipulum abducam, times. 

Previous slide
Next slide

The historic home

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

The park of the villa

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Previous slide
Next slide

The library

Around 1948 the Marquis Massimiliano Majnoni, a passionate bibliophile, undertook meticulous work to create the library of the Marti villa. It was built by an artisan carpenter from the farm, named Angiolino with extraordinary talent.
Subsequently filled with the books already preserved by the Majnonis in the villa of Incino d'Erba and with the books belonging to the Baldovinettis' collections. The Marchesa Marcella Majnoni, born Guicciardini, wife of Massimiliano, dedicated herself in the last part of her life to the hand filing of the 14,000 volumes that compose it.
Today, following his work, it is possible to easily find every single volume on the shelves. The library contains numerous series and some valuable volumes, but above all it has a notable visual impact and contributes to promoting a special atmosphere that has remained unchanged over time. 

Archive

The current structure of the Baldovinetti archive is the result of demanding work undertaken by the Marquis Massimiliano Majnoni d'Intignano di Poggio Baldovinetti starting from 1948. Massimiliano Majnoni took care of the Majnoni archive from 1950 and with the assistance of an archivist of what remained of the great Baldovinetti archive.
The latter had been partly lost in some sales after the mid-nineteenth century, however its most important parts converged in public institutions such as the State Archives and the National Library of Florence and, indeed, in the archive preserved in the historic residence of Marti where he arrived in 1814 coming from Palazzo Baldovinetti in Florence.
The Marquis Massimiliano Majnoni loved Marti's villa and his farm very much and also had the papers of his father Achille and mother Maria brought there from the villa in Incino ad Erba, in addition to the books. His objective was in fact to transform Marti's home into his retreat according to the ancient Roman ideal; of the otium cum dignitate, made up of studies and that industriousness to which he felt called as owner of the farm.
The work of cataloging the archive papers, the oldest of which date back to the fourteenth century, was very demanding and continued over the years until Massimiliano's death in 1957. A good 40 years had to pass before his son Stefano took over the thread of his father's project when, having also retired to Marti's villa, he worked to complete the cataloging work, finding the collaboration of the Archival Superintendence and the archivist Rita Romanelli.
Today, therefore, the archive is equipped with an analytical inventory that allows researchers who make a justified request to study the papers with greater agility. On 24 November 1997 the archive was declared of historical interest.

genka@villas-in-tuscany.com
+39 39 376 972 15

genka@villas-in-tuscany.com